Thursday 18 October 2007

My First Wash


This pic was taken 4 days ago at my friends graduation celebration. I like it so i thought i would add it on here.

Well i decided to wash my hair. I wasnt going to wash it until before my next retightening but it was dirty and i wanted to wash it. I have been using a few drops of witch-hazel in my spray bottle which I use every day to spritz my locs. I could have put some on a cotton pad and cleansed my scalp that way but i wanted to wash it. I was really nervous about doing it correctly as this is my first time. I also wanted to do an ACV rinse but i didnt know the concentrate or whether to do it before or after the shampoo. I tried to find some info on the net but wasnt really sucessful. In the end i decided to use the ACV that i had from week two. i'm not sure if it had gone off as it smelt a bit funky, prob as i had left it on the window-sil even though my blinds are usually drawn.

I braided and banded my hair. I think maybe i will try some smaller braids next time and i will use different bands. I think i may have done the braids too tight, not too sure. Anyway this is my first time and its a learning curve. The pics below are the result of my B&B




I was a lil worried about those lil ones at the bottom as i cudnt get them in a braid

I mixed the SL starter shampoo from the starter kit in a spray bottle 1:1 with water and washed my locs. I sprayed it inbetween each braid and on the scalp. I gently rubbed each braid to get the scalp clean and also around each braid. I am not sure if i diluted the shampoo too much as it didnt seem to lather. After i had shampooed twice i sprayed my hair with ACV and covered with my cap while i finished washing. I do not know how long you should leave the ACV on for etc but this is what i did. After i washed myself i rinsed it out. I made sure i really rinsed it as i was scared that i would leave product in my hair. I used a towel to get the excess water out and then i took out each B&B and seperate my locs. I hope all is ok. The pics below are taken straight after.







Ok i know this pic is bad as i am in shadow but i still like it and its my blog LOL

One thing that is worrying me a lil is that as i write this i have put my hand is my hair as its damp so it makes it itch. But my fingers feel sticky like i have put grease in my hair when i know that i havent. I know that i rinsed it out properly. I hope that its jus my mind playin tricks on me as my hair is still damp.

5 comments:

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

I think you did a great job. Especially if this is your first time. Your locks look great. You will get the hang of it in no time. As for the ACV I'm really not sure when you are suppose to do the rinse, however I heard most people do it before they wash their hair due to the smell. Also I think the longest I heard someone leave it on is usually 15 mins. I think it depends on you. When my hair really needs an ACV rinse I take a spray bottle and spray in between my locks and then go in between the parts with a soft toothbrush by the time I'm finished its usually 15-20 min.
Anyhow as far as the shorter locks that don't fit into a braid I use small clips so they don't unravel.
Another tip that I learned is to braid my hair looser at the roots and tighter at the ends so I can actually get a good scrub in at the roots. Sorry I left such a long post. I hope the tips helped

Khandi said...

Thank you for your tips much appreciated

N'Drea ~ the Storyteller said...

Hi! First time here.

I was nervous at my first DIY shampoo, but I followed my consultant's instructions and I was good to go. I think you did a great job, and your locks look cute.

Mel said...

When I do an ACV rinse, I mix one part ACV to 4 parts water; I leave it on for 10-15 mins before washing out.

Anonymous said...

Hi! You look like you did a wonderful job on your first rinse! I have tried doing an ACV rinse after my shampoo but it seems to strip out the moisture so I will go ahead and try doing it before a shampoo.

Everyone's concentration is different but I mix 1/4 cup vinegar to 3 cups of water in a pitcher and pour it evenly over my scalp and locs. Then I massage the scalp for a minute or two and rinse. This works very well for me and you can feel the different immediately!

Check out my fotki sometime: http://www.fotki.com/thefineprint

Take care!

-Jessica