Tuesday 28 August 2007

Locs a week on

Collage of my locs a week on. From the top left: front view, left side, right side, top, back and another front view (this was actually taken on my mobile and i think it looks better than the others that were taken on my digital cam)

The week has been mainly ok. Wake in the morning, spritz with water, try a lil finger combing and i am done.

The main problem i have had is that my scalp has been very itchy. Since i washed my hair the night before getting the SL installed i have not put any products on it. I think because the locs were tight and close to my scalp it caused it to itch. I have had this problem previously with cornrows, which i usually scratch out within 3 days. I did not realise i would have the same prob with the locs because they were singles. I have tried very hard not to scratch it but its hard and often i dont realise my hands are in my locs. I try tapping it, diggin my nails in without scratching it, putting ice on it. Some advice i have received is to use ACV (apple cider vinegar) as this is meant to help with dandruff. I have not tried it as i am not washing my hair as yet. Other suggestions are Lavender EO (essential oil) as this soothes the scalp and Tee Tree EO as this helps with the itching. Again I have not tried them as yet as i was told not to put anything on my hair to prevent slippage. My hair is quite soft and i do not want to cause and slippage. I am in contact with my consultant and the itching has calmed down somewhat mainly itchy in the morning and evening. I will continue to monitor it and hopefully it will calm down as the locs loosen. I am seeing Liz next week for a two week check-up to make sure everything is going ok

Loving my locs and my friends all like it. Since i am the first one to have SL among them they are keen to chart my progress as well


13 comments:

Mzcka said...

You look stunning with your new set of SL's. Your smile says it all. Keep the pics updated to see your progress. Welcome to the family.

Candace

Unknown said...

You look great!! love your necklace, too. when i get my hair retightened, my scalp itches too. Not because of dandruff, but because the skin is tight. The remedy? wash your hair. B&B, of course. It will loosen up some of the tension and make the itchies go away!! :)

Mel said...

HI Khandi,
Congratulations, your hair looks great!
You could add a drop or two of the Tea Tree Oil to the water you are spritzing your hair with. I have also found it useful to apply the mixture directly to my scalp using a cotton bud.

Mel(London)

NappyTexanGirl said...

One girl and her hair- itching is going to be a biggie in this SL journey, so you may have to gradually adjust. Try vitamin e caplets to help with the dryness. Vitamin E also helps minimize itching, somewhat minimally though.......

Naturalist1 said...

Welcom to the SL family. Your hair looks great. For itching I use Nizorel. They have it at Walgreens. Check with your consultant and see if you can use it.

ja stu sisterlock journey said...

Hi Khandi,

Your hair is looking good aready, I like your blog you sound like a seasoned sisterlocs sistah,(smile)I am in my 5th month and really enjoying the freedom of sisterlocs.Thank God I have not had one day of regret so far.
Good luck.

PAYLAR said...

You're looking good. I think your locks are too cute!! Congratulations.

Khandi said...

Thank you all for you comments and tips on the itching

ja stu sisterlock journey said...

Hi Khandi,

Thanks for stopping by my blog, yes I need to sort out my 4 titles,keep gorgetting my password and ended up with 4, planning to get some help to have it sorted out.

Anonymous said...

Khandi,
Your newbies are STUNNING. You wear them well. Great look on you. Enjoy your journey.
Jos

Aya said...

Very nice locks. congratulations!!!!

Hair Affairs said...

Welcome to the sisterlocks family. I hope that you really enjoy your journey. Check out my blog, I also am from the UK and publish an online magazine for natural hair.

Belinda said...

Congratulations, you look incredible. I will be joining the sl family 9/21 and Im extremely nervous. I hope that I am half as happy with the results at you are. Keep the pics updated.

Belinda